The Dodgers trot out onto Citi Field today aspiring to chalk up their 14th series sweep this season, as they face the Mets, on ESPN Sunday Night Baseball.
Hyun Jin Ryu will take the mound.
Using the first 75 pitches as a gauge.
Ryu’s numbers as a Dodger up to this point are a step behind #1 Kershaw and #2 Wood, (Darvish not included). They’re right in line with Rich Hills numbers though.
Ryu: ERA (3.53) – IP (71.1) – H (69) – R (33) – ER (28) – HR (13) – BB (21) – SO (71) – WHIP (1.26)
Hill: ERA (3.61) – IP (67.1) – H (51) – R (28) – ER (27) – HR (11) – BB (28) – SO (81) – WHIP (1.17)
Beyond 75 pitches and things begin to plummet.
Ryu gives up hits, but he also throws strikes. His walk rate is just behind Kershaw’s, (although Kershaw has thrown more innings). Both Ryu’s first pitch ERA and his ERA when behind in the count, are above 5. When behind in the count, the other starters hover around 4. Ryu hovers around 4 when the count is full however.
Ryu doesn’t have elite stuff, so he has to come prepared and execute his game plan. Ryu needs to locate the first- pitch-strike, well and keep hitters off-balance by staying ahead in the count. Ryu also needs a solid performance from the boy’s backing him. When I looked at the numbers, most everyone not named Kershaw, Darvish or Wood, were pretty much bunched up together. That’s a deep back end of the rotation, as Hershiser, stated in last evening’s broadcast. These guys are all gonna want the ball from here-on-out/in.
Which as Hershiser, again stated, should prevent the “lull” we usually see after Sept. call-ups. Right now the team’s win percentage is just above .700. Which projects them winning around 115 games. This has been growing rapidly however.
The 13 teams that have been on the wrong end of a series sweep with the Dodgers
- Phillies (3) @ home in April
- Pirates (3) @ home in May
- CUBBIES (3) @ home in June
- Reds (3) @ home in June
- Reds (3) on the road in June
- Mets (4) @ home in June
- Rockies (3) @ home – Pivotal point of the season in June
- DBacks (3) @ home – Pivitol point of the season in July
- Royals (3) @ home in July
- Marlins (3) on the road in July
- White-Sox (2) on the road in July
- Twins (3) on the road in July
- GIANTS @ home in July
- Mets (3) on the road in August
- Padres (game 3 suspended with the Dodgers up 2 games to zero) make-up game set for Sept 2nd.